Wednesday 12 November 2008

Killing Machine


Alright I resisted playing the first Gears of War for as long as bloody possible for the simple reason that I knew I would get hooked and therefore desire the xobx 360 I simply could not afford. Unfortunately my will was not up to the task and my mate Seb and I ploughed through the first game with unbridled glee. Anyone with half a brain can probably pinpoint the main reason for the success of Gears of War.

'The realistic cover and advance gameplay?'

'The fantastic maps?'

'The story?'

'The characters?'

NO! you berk its the fact that you have a chainsaw on the end of your gun. This is a game that clearly realised that top of the list of priorities for the majority of frothing lunatics that cream themselves over fountains of virtually animated blood splattering across their tv screens are new and more visceral methods of violent debauchery. The ability to chainsaw enemies or if you're a pussy shooting then curb stomping them adds a whole deliciously vicious and worryingly satisfying element to gameplay.

Gears of War 2 continues with much of the same in a classic case of 'if it ain't broke don't try and fix it' although I do salute the attempt to vary up the action via numerous changes of situation/environment. Though well aware of the fact that I'm a relative n00b to GoW I did find this game to be considerably easier than the first. You almost forget as you charge like a bull through a matadors convention picking bits of Locust off your chainsaw that there is a gun attached to the bloody thing. Not that I'm really complaining though

No comments: